After much anticipation, here is the recipe for my raw salted caramel slice!
This rich caramel treat is made from clean ingredients and is a healthier alternative to the original.
However given it is made from nuts, dried fruit and maple syrup, it is still quite high in natural sugars and healthy fats, so I suggest it be consumed in moderation 😉
For the base:
- 1.5 cups almonds
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp melted coconut oil
For the caramel:
- 1 cup dates
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1.5 tbsp unhulled tahini
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup cashews (soaked for 6+ hours until soft)
- A pinch of pink sea salt
For the chocolate:
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup raw cacao
2 tbsp du chocolat powder
A pinch of pink sea salt
- Line a tray with baking paper
- Process the ingredients for the base in a food processor or blender until it forms a kind of crumb. Transfer it into the tray and knead it together, pressing it tightly so that it will stick. Set this layer in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
- Process the ingredients for the caramel in a food processor or blender until it becomes a smooth, thick consistency. You will probably need to give it a few stirs, and maybe add a little water to help it blend, but you want it to be relatively thick.
- Pour the caramel on top of the set base layer and smooth it over. Return to the freezer until the caramel is set (approx one hour).
- Mix the ingredients for the chocolate layer in a bowl. Pour on top of the set caramel layer. Quickly smooth it over- it will set quite quickly because of the coldness of the caramel layer.
- Return to freezer for another 15 minutes or so until chocolate is set, then slice.
Note: store in the freezer for best results.
#health #healthyeating #fibre #nutrition #training #weightloss #fatloss #leanmuscle #cleaneating #cleaneatingrecipes #healthyrecipes #healthfood